On the roll with the guests and this weeks interview and mix comes from a guy who has been doing some very cool stuff lately: A:B:S. I’ve been really digging what he’s been doing, with his feet in both the breaks and techno worlds his tracks are as fun to mix as they have been wicked to play. I also have a soft spot for his sometimes liberal use of the 303 😉 His mix showcases stuff of his recent and upcoming productions and well as a cool cross section of tracks that he’s into right now.
He took some time out to answer the DBS interview questions below to shed some light on his influences, where he’s heading musically and how he’s a big Bjork fan… the full interview is here
After years spent soaking up a soundtrack of hardcore, techno, D&B, house & breaks Andy decided it was time to step the other side of the decks and A:B:S was born. Although originally making his name as a breaks DJ, A:B:S’s sound has evolved into a mixture of techno, electro house & breaks, complete with a hefty dose of acid for good measure. The epitome of Tech-Funk.
Since his first gig in 2007 A:B:S has played in numerous venues around the East of England alongside the likes of Riva Starr, Tom Hades, Plump DJs, Elite Force, Specimen A, Frogs In Socks, Apply The Breaks, DK (Ninja Tune), DJ Cheeba & Drums Of Death amongst others. As well as venturing further afield to play his first festival gig at NASSfest 08 alongside Merka and Ben & Lex. In June 2010 he played his long overdue first London gig supporting the legendary Basement Jaxx. August 2011 saw him become a resident with the Tech-Funk Depot, starting off supporting Hybrid & Dave Spoon in Brixton, following on to playing at Lot 49’s Fracture Halloween party alongside Meat Katie & Vandal. In summer 2012 he also made a return to the festival circuit playing at Strawberry Fields in Leicester followed up with a triumphant set at Jelly Fest in Norfolk. A:B:S’ versatility takes him from playing pounding techno in a grimey basement party one week to supporting the Plump DJs the next.
Over the years Andy has also been a regular radio host spending 2 years hosting the >>Forward Thinking>> show on iBreaks radio, then in 2010 moving to Breakspoll award nominated Rough Tempo where he spent 2 years hosting a weekly show pushing a more techno orientated sound.
Andy launched his own Mind-Funk clubnight in December 2011. Based at Tribal in Colchester, Mind-Funk has seen the likes of Meat Katie, Elite Force, Dopamine, Rektchordz, Lee Coombs, Hedflux, Caninesounds, Vandal, Neurodriver, Ways & Means & The Omega Men all grace the decks.
Always striving to push forward A:B:S has now stepped into the world of production. His debut single ‘Seqtronic’ garnered attention from a number of labels and was quickly snapped up by established Bristol based Dead Famous Records, released in October 2012. Since then he’s gone on to remix Vandal’s epic ‘Vision In Leather’ single, Ways & Means’ glitch hop track Don’t Think Not and Dirt Revolver’s Soul Surfer single which hit No 32 in the Beatport Breaks chart. His next single ‘Frostbite’ carried on from this and hit number 27. Establishing himself as a talented producer and gaining widespread praise from fans and peers alike with plenty more releases forthcoming on AUX, Benefit & Australia’s Box Set Records the future is certainly looking bright for A:B:S
Soundcloud link : www.soundcloud.com/a-b-s
Beatport link : http://www.beatport.com/artist/a-b-s/289805
Facebook Fan page : https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-B-S/123853361006276
Great stuff from A:B:S, a really cool mix of techno and breaks all with a solid groove. Was great to hear some of his upcoming stuff too – the man is on a roll at the moment… My mix was a little haphazard but squeezed in some great new tracks from Metha, Oleg Zubkov, Pio Beat, Guau, Grove, Acidova and Home Alone – enjoy!
Next Weeks Guest: Chevy One
01. Andypop – Ah Ah Ah Hi Hi Hi [L2S Recordings]
02. Oleg Zubkov – Full Contact (Perpetual Present Remix) [VIM Special Edition]
03. Forufreezer – Trichome (Isolate Remix) [VIM Records]
04. Pio Beat – Electro Shiva [Expand Records]
05. Home Alone – High [In Bloom Recordings]
06. Unconscious Mind(s) – Bad Kitty (System 2 Remix) [VIM Records]
07. Andy Weed – Discovery (Nanofeel Remix) [Reelaux Digital]
08. Metha – C’mon [Breaks.sk]
09. Guau – Madaiaka [Elektroshok Records]
10. Resistor – Hold Me [Dead Famous]
11. Monk3ylogic – Control The Void (Tongue & Groove Remix) [Broken Records]
12. Paket – Resurrection [Music Dark Records]
13. Chevy One – Blade Crawler [LOT49]
14. Grove – Titan [iBreaks]
15. Acidova – Dealer (Freak Da Bass Remix) [Sub Element Records]
16. Yreane – What You Want [LOT49]
Guest Mix: A:B:S
01. Huff – Cut The Wire (Charlie Kane Remix) (Census Sound Recordings)
02. Phase Animator – Nyota (A:B:S Remix) (Box Set Records)
03. Danny Blaze – Blow Ya Speakerz (Calvertron Remix) (Hijacked)
04. Beat Tempest – Fingers In The Duck (Cclone Records Promo)
05. Metha – Never Trust A Robot (Meat Katie Remix) (Lot 49)
06. A:B:S – Flashpoint (Box Set Records)
07. Doublefacez – Mental Atmosphere (Sam Vandal Remix) (Stars and Knights Records)
08. MKR – Delerious (Kwerk Remix) (Benefit Recordings)
09. A:B:S – Flashpoint (Phase Animator Remix) (Box Set Records)
10. Mesmer – Top Rock (Sound of Habib Promo)
11. A:B:S – Microdots (Benefit Recordings Promo)
12. Lee Coombs – Break 9541 (Ways & Means Remix) (Thrust Recordings)