The guest mix series continues this week on the Disc Breaks show, this time I’m very happy have playing live in the studio fellow Melbournite and breakbeat hero EK!
EK has really impressed lately after having a little hiatus away from the beats with a wicked release on Dead Famous and a stack of quality remixes in the last year. With a heap more in the pipeline, this mix promises to be chock full of quality
Australian Artist/DJ/Producer “EK” has gained a reputation as one of the nations unique talents in the art of breakbeat. As a live act, DJ and producer EK combines his varied musical influences into a fusion of tuff beats, twisted electronic sounds and epic melodies that have won him support from some of the biggest names in the global breakbeat scene.
From his first release in 1996 and a few inclusions on local compilations, EK scored a deal with the independent label Angels Trumpet, which eventually led to the release of his debut 1999 album, Decoder. “Future Nation”, Decoder’s lead track, was instantly picked up by national broadcaster Triple J Radio on high rotation and led to the inclusion of 3 tracks on Triple J’s Mix Up Tweak compilation. In his spare time he was often asked to provide cuts and scratches for Sonic Animation’s recordings and was also a fixture when the Sonic boys expanded their line up for special shows, like Live At The Wireless on ABC TV and as the supports to The Chemical Brothers
When his former label disappeared, EK soon found a new home in Sound Not Scene. “When All Else Fails” was the first EP and it carved up dance floors worldwide. Later in 2002 EK released 3 12”s winning friends from breaks dons of the likes of Rennie Pilgrim, Koma and Bones, Plump Djs, Hybrid, 10 sui, Tayo, Freq Nasty, Hyper and many many more.
In 2004 EK joined forces with Sydney label Falcon St Beats to launch the pioneering Forefront mix CD, with an aim to showcase Australia’s breakbeat elite. Forefront II was released the following year due to the success of the first compilation and continued to promote the breakbeat sound and support and discover new artists through out Australia. “1000 Thoughts Per Second” – EK’s second full-length album was released in 2007 on Sound Not Scene and received glowing reviews from Australian press and media.
In between his own productions he has managed to turn out some wicked remixes including, The Crystal Method’s “Born to slow”, Peace Division’s “Groove me” and Sweden’s Stisch “Beauty in me” and has played both Live and DJ sets everywhere from San Francisco, Auckland, LA, San Diego, Singapore, Brisbane, Melbourne, Canberra to Budapest and the UK.
After a brief departure from the scene, EK returned in 2009 with a new determination to push the breakbeat sound into uncharted sonic territories. Two singles “Exit Enlightenment/Speak Your Grind” were released on UK based label Dead Famous and earned “Breaks Tune of the Month” in the August edition of Mixmag UK. With a list of recent remixes for artists including Future Funk Squad, Kraymon, Refracture and more in the works, EK is leading up to the completion and release of his third album in 2010!
Big respect to EK for coming over and laying down a wicked mix, really looking forward to the new album 😀
01. DP-6 – Deep Sea (DP-6 Breaks Mix) [DP-6 Records]
02. Clesk – AK47 (Aeron Aether Remix) [Stranamente Music]
03. Christoph Maitland – Powertrain (Farace Remix) [Pop And Lock]
04. Triple Agent – Mindwarp [VIM Records]
05. PRE:AMP – Koi Fish [Metamorph Muzik]
06. Dual Boot – Trigger (Duane Barry Remix) [Ridiculoud]
07. Direct Input – Eddie’s Money [Level Seven Records]
08. BKP & One Man Army – Flippit (Quadrat Beat Remix) [Dusted Breaks]
09. Fletric – Leveler (Quadrat Beat Remix) [Digital Sensation UK]
10. Robosapiens – New World Order (Kultur & Colombo Remix) [Dead Famous]
11. Hexadecimal – Serious Action feat. Percy Dread [Distinct’ive Records]
Guest Mix – EK
01. Breaking News – Octopus
02. Access Denied – Publicity
03. Hedflux – Mindcell (RMS & Peak remix)
04. Plump DJs – Scrammed (Elite Force remix)
05. EK – Exit Enlightenment (Kraymon remix)
06. Timmy Schumacher – Bring Back Big Beat
07. Fletric – Plug Me (EK remix)
08. Canine Sounds – I Like to Party (Sam Hell remix)
09. B-Phreak – Shooked (Vandal remix)
10. The Analogeeks – Subconscience
11. Bassbin Twins – The Lock
12. Metallica – Seek & Destroy (Bassnectar remixxx)
13. Noisia – Machine Gun (16 bit remix)
14. Refracture – Believe (EK remix)
15. Fisso & Spark – Blow your mind (EK remix)
16. Sketi – Hyperstate